The land presently occupied by the Northshore Shopping Mall, was originally owned by Elias Haskett Derby, the first U. S. millionaire who died in 1799. The land was inherited by his daughter Elizabeth, who married Nathaniel West. They built an estate, much of which was designed by Samuel McIntire.
In 1850, the estate was sold to Richard S. Rogers, who was married to Elizabeth Pickman. Their son, Jacob C. Rogers and his wife were the last owners of the estate before its sale to the Xavier Brothers to establish the St. Joseph Juniorate in 1922. It was mainly a summer residence for the Rogers and maintained by Mr. and Mrs. John Greenwood. Much of the 100 acres were used to grow hay, grain, roots and vegetables. There was a dairy with 25 cows from which eighty pounds of butter was sold in Boston every week. There were a yoke of oxen to work the land, pigs, 125 chickens and three horses. Before the sale of the property to the Xavier Brothers, part of the interior designed by McIntire was sold to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. In 1955, it was sold to Allied Stores of New York and after the estate was torn down in 1956, the North Shore Shopping Center was built.
Copyright © 2011 Peabody Institute Library. All rights reserved.