The Milton Shield was donated by Eliza Sutton to the Eben Dale Sutton Room in 1877.
This is a copy of the one created for the International Exhibition of Paris, held in 1867. It was designed and wrought by Morel Ladeuil, by the newly developed process of repousse, or design in relief with silver and steel, along with gold.
Etched onto the Shield are scenes from Milton's Paradise Lost..
According to the South Kensington Museum (now Victoria and Albert Museum) Curator, George Wallis:
"Every face expresses the appropriate mental emotion or passion. There is awe and fear expressed in the face of Adam, and modesty in that of Eve, as they listen to the recital by Raphael of the conflict between the hosts of Heaven and Hell . . . There is Michael-Angelo-like force of drawing in the terrified faces and forms of the defeated rebels as they are driven out of Heaven, and fall down to perdition in an endless variety of attitude, recalling the Last Judgment. How fiercely St. Michael wields his flaming sword, as he stands on the prostrate body of the Dragon! Sin and Death are represented with their appropriate symbols at the bottom of the Shield, and soaring far above the region of conflict, strife, defeat, sin and death, seraphic and angelic figures, borne on wings, approach, in attitude adoring, the cherub-surrounded Emblem of all Light and Life, spiritual and material. The sign of the zodiac, with figures floating, symbolize the rolling year and flight of time, and delicately-worked leafage, in low relief, is introduced to fill up the space not occupied by the illustration of the poem."
Copyright © 2011 Peabody Institute Library. All rights reserved.